Saturday, December 7, 2013

Eating Well on a Budget

A common question that I get asked is, "Where do you shop?" 

Eating well can be incredibly expensive! Especially if you shop at Whole Paycheck or any other specialty type grocery store.

My secret is that I know where the best deal is (usually) on my staple food items. 


My Costco haul:
*Kale Salad $4.99 (should be good for at least 2 lunches and maybe 1 or 2 dinner sides)
*Organic Ground Beef $16.99 (should be good for 3 meals, so $5.66 per meal)
*Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts $20.67 (should be good for 3 meals, so $6.89 per meal)
*Pork Loin $16 (should be good for at least 3 meals, so $5.33 per meal)
*Organic Eggs $3.39/doz  (I bought 4 dozen)
*Large bag of Yukon Gold potatoes $7.99 (should be good for maybe 2 weeks of meals)
*Fruit and nut trail mix $10.79 (my only impulse buy :) ) 
*Onions $4.99 (This for sure will last me 2 weeks worth of meals)
*Pita bites $6.49 (husband's impulse buy, a snack food)
*Mini Babybel Cheeses $9.75 (hubby's snack food)
Yeast $4.49 (this is probably 1/100th of the price of the ones you can buy in the store.) 
*Pineapple $2.99 
Brown Sugar $3.59 

---------
$119.73



My Kroger haul: 
*Organic Parsley $1.09
*Organic Leeks $2.99
*Allspice $2.99
*Ginger Root $0.18
*6 Bell Peppers $7.50
*3 Organic Peppers $3.75
*Bunch of Organic Bananas $2.01
*Organic Thyme $2.00
*Shallots $1.79
*Bacon $5.49
*3 cans of Organic Tri Bean Blend $3.00
*1 can of Organic Garbanzo Beans $1.00
*1 can of Organic Black Beans $1.00
*1 can of Organic Tomato Paste $0.79 
*1 can of Organic Crushed Tomatoes $2.49

----------
$38.07

*Total cost of everything I'm using this week: $108.04 for homemade meals every meal for 2 1/2 people. (I should really count myself as at least two adults because as a mama who breastfeeds 2 babies, I eat more than my 6'2" husband!) 

It's really hard to break it down like this because although I spent $2.99 on allspice, I might be using that for 6 months or so, so I didn't include that. And, things like the trail mix, that might last me 2 weeks worth of snacks, that kind of thing. There are things like the yeast that I will buy and will last me months and months. 

1 comment:

  1. We are headed to Costco today and will check out some of this stuff while we are there. We have purchased the organic beef from them in the past and were told (after we had consumed it and didn't have the packaging anymore) that it is grain-fed, rather than grass-fed. I will check it out today. I would like to find a grass-fed source in the near future.

    ReplyDelete